(Or Is My Whole Life on the ABC Television Network?)

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Point #12: You Guessed It

In the comments to my last post, Linfluenza quoted Walt Disney: "Disneyland is the star. Everything else is in the supporting role."
'Nuff said. Since protest was no option and I was hellbent on scaring advertisers away from sponsoring my show, I began to read communist works. After finding The Communist Manifesto to be the most boring 48 pages in the history of Western literature, my inclination was to Google communist art web sites. The best site I found was this. It had all these wacky comic strips and a kickass essay on cultural Marxism by the hottest friggin Trotskyite I know: Esther Leslie.
Now what could be more anti-Disney than communism? You guessed it: communism isn't anti-Disney - it's just mad because it plays a supporting role. Esther Leslie wrote a book lauding early Disney films as esemplastic exercises in revolutionary transmogrifacation.
If a communist writes a book, she knows that the book is a commodity. Why pretend to escape the capitalist system? Walking away from the stinking mass of Bolshevik theory, I rode the copyfight wave. The Boing-Boing crew tirelessly documents the stupidity of copyright law. Even if the writers on it were fat-cat Republican oil tycoons, they deserved credit: in no way would they support a corporation - even Disney - that sued anybody for copyright infringement.
That Cory Doctorow, one of the writers of the site, loves Disney should come as no surprise. That he wrote a book called Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom should come as no surprise. How can I knock him for extolling Disney when I'm a TV character on ABC myself? He merely plays a supporting role.



Continue

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home