(Or Is My Whole Life on the ABC Television Network?)

Friday, May 20, 2005

Point #13:Desperately Seeking Reality

I started writing for the Long Island Paper in October of '04. The editor-in-chief and I hardly had anything to talk about. I overheard him talking to the senior arts editor about "Desperate Housewives" one day and the senior arts editor said,"Yeah, everyone is talking about how 'Desperate Housewives' will kill reality TV."



Doing a little more research on the web (when I moved away from home again, I had no television in my new place), I saw this article in which a CNN entertainment writer "mistakenly" called "Desperate Housewives" a reality show. Har-de-har-har. A brave journalist gets choked for clearing the smoke. Who's to say my reality wasn't really a fictional show? The success of "Desperate Housewives" and ABC coincided with my meteoric rise by joining the Long Island Paper. Since ABC was having a good season, my character would get a break because now, for the first time since maybe the early '90's, more people were likely to watch my show.
After I told the editor-in-chief that I watched the new hit series, he said "Yeah, it's great." This is the only conversation we ever had. Five months later, he promotes me from editorial assistant to journalist. Wow. Promote one ABC product and the world is yours for the taking.
This doesn't only work for me. After all the eyerolling over the Bush administration's idiotic search for WMD's, his moronic social security plan and the sharp drop in civil liberties, Laura Bush makes one joke about "Desperate Housewives" and becomes the cat's pajamas and slippers.

Maybe if I promote "According to Jim," I'll get laid for free tonight.



TWO-POINT SEASON FINALE ON MONDAY!!! DON'T MISS IT!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home